Thursday, November 22, 2007

No Wonder We Groan

There are days when I get so frustrated by every tiny inconvenience -- spilling something, or not being able to open a medicine bottle because they make them now with child-proof caps -- that I find myself laughing. It’s becoming clear that I must be getting close to the end of the journey, because nobody could be this impatient without being close.

Fetuses are for the womb but babies are for the world, and when it’s time to move on, you are really ready for it. I feel every bit as constricted as I must have in my mother’s womb those last days, and I know how eager she must have been for me to get the hell out of there. I am tired of living in a world where shit happens. I want it to be perfect all the time. Just once, I’d like to go through one experience and not be irritated or frustrated by something that happens or doesn’t happen and destroys the peace of that moment.

I sense that the whole world shares this frustration. The Bible speaks of all creation groaning in travail, in labor, awaiting the day of deliverance of that new creation. The whole world has groaned since the beginning of time, because there’s always a generation in the world at any given moment that is just about ready to leave. The rest of the world is groaning for other reasons, which are called growing pains, but the whole world is groaning in pain, not necessarily of body, but of soul and spirit, because we all miss home the whole time we’re here.

No wonder we groan so much. You really get tired of all this, and I’m looking forward, in my own quiet, grateful, contented way, to the great event when I can finally get the hell out of here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home