Friday, May 04, 2007

Storytellers

Joseph Campbell is really big on story and storytelling down through the millennia, and I see that God has made me to have this sacred role, as all roles are sacred. I am a storyteller and a shaman who knows how to comfort people, to help them understand more of who they are and that they are made in God’s image, and that they’re OK. I have that capacity and can give examples through my storytelling and my knowledge of creation to help people transcend the earthly realm so they at least get glimpses of the heavenly visions, of the spheres – glimpses that are essential to us, or we slog through this life without any sense of purpose or joy. I was just a sweet, innocent kid who loved old people, and interesting people, who everybody else thought were dirty or crazy, or whatever, and I saw God in them, and they responded to that, and all through my life I have been the kind of person who people are drawn to for comfort and for humor and for music.

Those of us who see ourselves as shamen and storytellers are healers and encouragers and peacemakers. In a world that’s made up of mainly violence and war and soldiers, we have this special calling, that’s not about killing, even if none of the killing is real, it’s just this bad soap opera, but it’s nice, isn’t it, to be affirmed as a creature of God who has purpose in this world and who wouldn’t be here still except there’s still work to be done, gifts to be distributed, and encouragement to be ladled out. That’s part of why we’re still here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home