Friday, May 04, 2007

Temptation

I was thinking of the Christian and Jewish and Muslim concept of temptation, of man being constantly tempted, either by his own corrupt nature or by the devil. From a non-legalistic viewpoint, from one of grace, it’s not temptation of all, it’s actually God teasing us. It’s like when my grandfather used to blow under my chin and tickle me in the ribs until I was just screaming with laughter. God isn’t tempting us to sin. He’s teasing us with things that we’re just not ready for yet but that he’s going to give to us down the road. Temptation is a concept that can only come from a belief that we live in a world of duality – of right and wrong, good and bad -- but if God is incapable of sin there can be no duality in the world. That is just another illusion. More and more, when I feel as thought I’m being tempted in the old sense, I realize that I’m just being teased. It’s one more manifestation of God’s sense of humor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home